Top Social

Catching Up on Sleep

20140807

You’ll only know how delicious slumbers can really be once you lose them to work. You'll romanticize the joys of going to bed (and not getting out of it) when the circadian rhythms are off. When you’re drained. When you're drowsy. When you're deprived of that much-needed sleep. If you’re lucky, you’ll pass out on the couch while the TV is on. For the less fortunate ones, insomnia is the other bullet to bite. 
I’d been pulling all-nighters for the past few weeks to meet the deadlines of my freelance screenwriting projects. My Eid break lasted only for a day or two; I spent the remaining week drafting, writing, erasing, starting over and re-writing pages. In between, I attended board meetings and prepared teaching materials for the coming semester. By the end of the week, I was spent. I went through a similar wild, no-sleep marathon on the week of my wedding and the last month in graduate school. I fell asleep on my laptop countless of times and drove to-and-fro in exhaustion. 
But you know that once the work is over, there’s nothing better than to celebrate your achievement in bed with a glass of warm milk and a ticket to your forty winks. The pillows are all propped up and the sheets smelling the lovely fragrance of Downy. Sweet dreams are also waiting. Just smile, close your eyes and gently fade into sleephood while cuddling your beloved teddy, pet or partner. The best medicine for the weary soul, anytime. 
On that note, I’m now ready to cozy up with these two and just zzz.