Top Social

Predicting Twisted Endings

20141027
Whenever I hear somebody says he or she hasn't watched The Sixth Sense yet, I'll immediately go, "What?!" How could they not? This '90s classic is known for its twisted ending, which during its time was considered novel. In fact, its twist has been replicated in many recent pictures-- the ones that end with the protagonist dreaming/ hallucinating/ fantasizing/ dead all along. So when N told me that he missed the film when it came out, I replied, "What?!" How could he not? 
So we ended up watching it on cable and it was fun just watching his reaction as we got to the ending. But the funniest part was when he concluded the film way before it ended. "Okay, okay, I know how this will go," he said. "Bruce Willis is going to dump his cheating wife and end up with the little boy's mother." I laughed so hard because he said it so earnestly. "You do know this isn't rom-com, right?" I asked, just to make sure. He replied, "What I do know is that Bruce Willis is going to be with that boy's mom." 
What an expectation! You'd probably would want to try this on someone who hasn't watched something you have. Seeing their reactions or hearing their predictions can be more entertaining than watching the film itself. I'd recommend thrillers like Old Boy, The Usual Suspects or even Se7en (what's in the box?!).
PS I love watching how my students react when they watch this classic shot from Un Chien Andalou in film class!