The two of us don’t celebrate Christmas but we always treasure that one day in December when we can just relax and not worry about getting out of bed. That’s exactly what we did on that showery Christmas morning, until we realized that somehow our stomachs needed to be fed and one of us had to get up and fix a quick brunch anyway. So much for relaxing! In turn, I took a quick trip to the kitchen to whip up some breakfast tartine to cure our hunger. It’s easy because the deal only requires you to spread whatever topping that your heart desires, be it savory or sweet, on slices of fresh toast.
Since we had leftover strawberries in the fridge, I took the chance to make a fruity combination ala Rachel Khoo's. Unfortunately, I’d forgotten all about the crème fraiche and had icing sugar instead. Oh, what the hey. Sugar would do the same. I toasted a few slices of a crusty French baguette topped with olive oil in the oven and placed plentiful of strawberry pieces on top. The remaining thing to do was to add some freshly chopped mint and a sprinkle of icing sugar. Done. It’s effortless yet so pleasingly comforting on a cold, rainy day and goes perfectly well with a cuddle and a marathon of wintertime films on the television.

