The best thing about working in the office is the holiday parties that get thrown a couple of times in a year. That’s at least something that I look forward to, aside from the delicious bonus at the tail end of each working calendar. The most exciting and jolliest office party is, of course, the Secret Santa. The thought of giving a gift-on-a-budget unknown to that colleague of yours can be downright shadowy but always in fun spirits. I’m usually reminded of the infamous Michael Scott from The Office, where he plays foul by transforming the traditional Secret Santa into The Grinch-like Yankee Swap. Thank goodness, none of that has happened so far in the many office parties I’ve attended!
I’d gotten some awesome presents in the past like vintage-looking necklace and even a mini candymaker. Some Santas who knew little about me tried their best with chocolates (you never go wrong with that one) and a compendium of baking recipes. I wasn’t a domestic goddess at that point in time so I chalked that present as the oddest I had ever received. Trust me, if I’d gotten that cookbook today, I would’ve jumped out of pure happiness. But to be fair, Secret Santa can be difficult if you don't know the person well enough to get him or her a nifty gift. My ‘safest’ gifts for the ladies have always been jewelry or scented lotion while ties, sleek stationery or book of humor are meant for the men.
To avoid any ‘unwarranted’ gifts this year, the party organizers had plumped for our Christmas wishes to be broadcasted online. I did my part and posted my wish for a few cactuses or other houseplants to fill up my indoor garden. As you could see, my love for nature and greenery is documented well in my archives. The day after, I found a pot of money plant sitting pretty on my desk. It came with a tiny note that says: “Christmas comes early for sweet girls like you!” I was overjoyed because I’d always wanted one to grace our apartment. Likewise, I didn’t expect the gift to come by so early. This Santa was on the Oriental Express!
A few days later, I saw another mysterious bag waiting for me in my room. It was filled with two tiny cactuses. This Santa was getting way too caught up with Christmas. This blew my expectation even more. The greatest thing was that my Santa didn’t stop there. He or she had left a few more cactuses at my desk while I was away teaching in the following days. All three gifts ahead of time. It made me wonder who took the trouble to walk a few blocks into my office to leave little hints and the presents. This Santa was exceptional, period.
The big day came. At our Christmas party, announcements were made and the gifts were exchanged. My name was announced, much to my surprise. What were the odds for receiving four gifts in a row? It was like winning the lottery. This time, I received a large pink-colored pot with another friendly cactus in it. The note had written from an “x”, apparently. The Santa was no longer a secret. She’s a former cubicle mate of mine, one of those generous and coolest souls whom I happened to know. In fact, she gave me beautifully ornate chinaware for my wedding gift. I’d award her as the best Secret Santa in my life for her ingenious ‘gifting’ ways, and a dedicated one at that. She had inspired me to go an extra mile for the next person chosen for me to give a gift to. After all, Christmas is the best time to pay it forward!



