We’re celebrating our first
wedding anniversary this week and to be honest, I can’t believe I just wrote that. I’m pinching myself as I’m looking at those words: has it really been
that long? As in almost three hundred and sixty five days long? Our wedding night, as knotty yet beautiful as it was, seems only a few seconds ago. It's strange that such cliché can be so true.

It’s been a great one year ever since: we found one cozy
apartment to nest in, cultivated our interests in
home-cooked food and carried on with our meanders to
curious places. And that’s exactly what I find charming about marriage— the opportunity to do, plan and think of things together. Our wedding photographer Fajar, who’s been married for ages, told us that the most awesome thing about marriage is the opportunity to brave through life with company. “Two heads are always better than one,” he mused. “Just make sure that both heads are screwed on tight!” In other words, be a team. Stay a team. If life gives us lemons, one of us will have to collect the fruits while the other turns them into lemonade. By the end of the day, we can clink our glasses and revel in the bittersweetness.

And while we’re on the subject, I’ll be posting our wedding photographs next to reminisce the night. I may not forget how warm the air was in the garden, the unbalanced sensation I got from wearing those high heels (and the constant praying that I wouldn’t topple facedown on the cake), the fatigue I felt deep in my bones as the night wore thin. But I will always remember the familiar faces smiling and cheering as we walked down the aisle, the moving speech my mom gave, my sister’s beautiful voice as she crooned her favorite Bee Gees number for us and the moment my in-laws tossed the rose petals in the air.
And, of course, N whom I remember being by my side, hand-in-hand, always.
---