This was one of the best weekends I had in a long time. My mom turned 58 last week and she flew in from Borneo to stay over in the city for a few days. My sister M happened to be in town with her husband for work and just like that, we were all gathered on Sunday for a little celebration. It’s been awhile since the three of us got together, seeing that we’re all settling in different cities now. No words can describe how grateful I was to spend some time with these two ladies of my life again.
We headed to Serai for brunch and had a great time catching up over plates of salads. The Portobello mushroom and cold salmon ceaser salads were insanely delicious and the portions so generous that we skipped the entire main course. My mom insisted not to have a birthday cake earlier on so M and her hubs suggested that we try their signature pavlova. There had been many a times when N and I would pass by their cake counter and just slaver over the sight of the thick, fluffy-white meringue topped with glazed berries. We were dying to try it and the time finally came. It was a delightful surprise; the taste turned out just as I imagined. I could’ve mouthed “so good” with every bite.
We were glad that our mom enjoyed most of the day. We could only wish that the day was longer for us to spend time together. It’s strange to see how she’s only two years shy from hitting the big 6-0. She doesn’t look like she’s aged one bit since a decade ago. Both M and I are more than lucky to have such a strong and fiercely independent woman as our mother. And we hope that those ageless genes are what, ahem, we'd inherit from her the most. Happy birthday once again, Mummy. We love you with every ounce of our being.
***





