Top Social

Working In The Hum of a Coffee Shop

20150817
I’m currently involved in another animated screenwriting project, which probably explains the kind of lull we’re having here. And speaking of that, I realize that I write best only at nights or early in the mornings before I head out to teach. I also work best from my desk at home, surrounded by my cats and a fully-stocked fridge that’s within an arm’s reach. 
I’ve never tried writing elsewhere, which leaves me wondering about writers who are able to finish their projects in coffee shops while occasionally sipping cappuccino. Doesn’t the noise bother them? Do they get inspired from such ambience? Do they also get anxious whenever a stranger passes behind them passing behind them (and possibly taking a peak at what’s written onscreen)? 
These thoughts also lead me to wonder: am I missing out on life for not writing at a cafe? 
Apparently, yes. According to a research quoted in The Atlantic, being homebound in silence doesn’t sufficiently fulfill creativity. The trick doesn’t have to do with the aroma of ground coffee beans wafting in the air either. It seems that the background noise of a coffee bar, like the clink and clatter of cutlery on plates, the whirring of the espresso machine and especially patrons’ chatter, encourage one to think more imaginatively. In other words, the moderate din you’d get from such a place helps the brain to think outside the box. As it turns out, the café is perfect space to gain inspiration sparks (or at least, get creative tasks sorted) and— surprise! surprise!— has even assisted greats like Ernest Hemingway, Albert Camus and even JK Rowling to get their juices flowing. 
Despite finding this piece of information to be intriguing, I still have qualms about writing outside of my comfort zone. I can chat with a friend or read a book all day in the calmness of a coffee shop but I can’t bear the thought of getting any writing done in the same space. Writing is such a solitary pursuit that I feel is best done in places that offer solitude. The frugal in me also resists it, partly because it’s an expensive undertaking. To buy yourself a cup of joe for every writing session sounds like a steep idea, if you ask me. 
So to tame such curiosity, I turn to Coffitivity. The app lets somewhat reclusive writers like me to experience all the sonic ambience of bustling cafes without having to be in one. The creators call them “coffee shop soundtracks” and they’re meant to be listened to while working at home or even in the office. They suggest pairing any of the soundtracks along with the music that you love. What can I say? It’s one brilliant idea. It’s been great so far ever since I first used it as a tool to help me finish a corporate video project a few weeks back. Whether or not it has any impact on my writing is difficult to say, though. But I sure do find myself tuning onto the app whenever I start tapping away on my laptop. 
I believe it can never fully simulate the real experience per se but I assure you, it sounds close enough to your favorite coffee shop. And just like caffeine, it’s pretty addictive.